May 28, 2010

Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens . . .

Kelly's Korner blog does a weekly thing called "Show us Your Life" where other bloggers share different aspects of their lives and add a link to her post on her blog. Today I'm participating in sharing my favorite things.

When I hear those three words together, I automatically start singing Sound of Music which is a nice segway into one of my favorite things.

Musicals! I'm talking old fashion, Rogers and Hammerstein, MGM, movies you watch in music class, musicals. Singing the songs and trying to imitate the dance scenes is what really makes me smile. It makes for good memories. I'm only sorry that I wasn't turned on to musicals sooner. It wasn't until I was in high school that I realized how amazing they are. My husband (then just my boyfriend)'s family would watch White Christmas every Christmas and I joined their tradition one year and I've never been the same since :)
(Sidenote: I'm actually watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers right now and it reminded me that in college my roommates and I nailed a plank of wood above the door of our apartment that said "Bless Your Beautiful Hide!" It was awesome! I would duplicate the same thing in my house now if it didn't scream college dorm room.)

Another thing that makes me smile is getting these little bags in the mail.

I love Old Navy! A large portion of my wardrobe comes from there. And yes I order it online because having a baby has made me a hermit and we don't really have an old navy very close. I also hate dressing rooms and feel somewhat empowered by making a little man deliver it to my door :) I know I'm paying for it, but I never order online unless there is some kind of sale so I can justify spending money on shipping.

The next thing is probably the most essential thing in my life.
Chocolate! Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are my favorite, but any chocolate will do. If I don't have chocolate at least once a day I go through withdrawals. I'm not kidding. When I went to Africa for a month on a mission trip, I had limited access to chocolate. For the first week or so, I felt like something wasn't quite right and I brushed it off as culture shock. But once I got some chocolate, my body relaxed and everything was OK :) I'm not sure if it's the caffeine or the endorphins or both. It's sad I know. I'm an actual chocoholic!

Disney World is definitely one of my favorite places.

I think it's because it fuels my idealistic side and it makes me feel like a kid again :) But I really love to travel anywhere that requires riding on a plane. There's nothing particularly wonderful about a plane ride, it's just a sign that I'm headed somewhere special!

Of course these two make me smile on a daily basis.
Just the sight of them makes my day better and seeing them together is even better! Nathan is a great husband and an even better father. It is such a blessing to watch him being wrapped around Lela's little finger. Hearing Lela coo and ahh is an amazing thing. It's like you can see her learning.

But the most important of all is the Word of God.

It is ultimate truth and it guides me in all areas of my life. Here's are some of my favorite verses:
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

2 comments:

Erin said...

Oh, honey. Reese's cups. Yes. I don't discriminate against any kind of chocolate, either, but the chocolate-peanut butter combination is delish.

Shoshanah said...

I love musical, but my all time favorite is Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and sometimes I fell like the only one whose seen it. Glad to know that's not true.

And although I've never been to Disneyworld, I love Disneyland. I grew up in Southern California so I went all the time when I was little and have all types of memories there.