September 7, 2011

We have Dr. Shirley on speed dial

So I know I have been slacking majorly on keeping everyone updated on Eli. I don't guess it would surprise you that I have also been slacking on taking pictures of important events. So I'll give you what I have in that area.

Eli's first bath: 9/3/11
(I realize this seems a little late, but the way Eli's umbilical cord fell off it left some exposed tissue that probably shouldn't get wet. And let's face it, he's the second child.)

Lela's first pig tails: 9/3/11, a banner day in the Clardy household.
(Nathan was actually the one that put her hair in pig tails and I think I have decided he is the official hair dresser for Lela from now on ;) )

So we'll begin with Eli's second doctor's appointment. This was August 19th and he weighed 7 lbs 7oz so he had regained his birth weight. It was pretty uneventful except for the fact that the doctor's office had installed a TV in the waiting room with looped videos on various and asundry topics like a proper workout and who married/divorced whom in Hollywood this week. Did you know that quinoa can be brewed like beer? Such invaluable information. It's quite loud and is not easily ignored and the sub-par actors in the medical videos left Nathan and I in uncontrolled restrained laughter. I wish I could remember what it is we found to be so humorous but I have a feeling it was a "you had to be there" type of moment.

Anyway, just a couple weeks later, I found myself back in the doctor's office. We noticed Eli was a little constipated and had the doctor check him out. At that point he weighed 9lbs 4oz so we knew he was getting plenty to eat! They checked Eli for everything that might explain the excessive spitting up (which had increased) and the constipation. After the usual things were ruled out, the doctor decided to do a rectal exam. This made him go immediately and Dr. Shirley said his sphincter was tight he was having trouble releasing it. This was a new word for me (which I'm hoping is the case for some of you as well) and I thought I was experiencing another Dr. Shirleyism. But because she continued to use this word with all seriousness, I realized I would have to look it up since I have a habit of shaking my head knowingly even when I have no idea what someone is talking about.

So, just yesterday we were at the doctor again because Eli had only pooped once since the last time we saw Dr. Shirley six days ago and it was with the help of a suppository so he hadn't gone on his own for a week and a half. Dr. Shirley called me in the afternoon and asked me to come in as soon as I could so she could do another rectal exam and loosen his sphincter. So I packed up the kids without changing clothes or diapers and then dropped Lela off at a friend's house. We got to the doctor's office and Eli was emitting quite an unpleasant smell, but this wasn't anything new because he's had some bad gas accompanying his constipation. So we got in the exam room and I set Eli on the table and I could see instantly that I had just made a pointless trip to the doctor. That's right, he decided to let it go sometime on the way up there. And it was a doozy! I no longer have to wonder what four days worth of poop looks like. On top of all that, I got poop on my shirt so I had to walk out of the doctor's office and pick up Lela with poop on my shirt all the while :)

So, basically I paid Dr. Shirley $25 to weigh him (he came in at 9lbs 14oz, by the way) and look in his ears. I guess that's just Murphy's Law. But I am glad he finally went, the timing just could've been slightly better.

If you want to be added to the list for the daily poop report, just let me know :)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

So glad you posted because I was about to call and the "scoop" on the "poop"! I guess that's what you call the "poop scoop"!

Anywaym gald he finally went on his own. I'm surprised he didn't weigh a lot less after he got rid of all that!

He's really gaining & growing, huh? Can't wait to see him! And Princess Lela, too! Luv ya! Grammie